Many new mothers on the Rez bring their babies home without the basic items a newborn needs. Some don’t have enough money to buy what they need, others lack the transportation needed to travel many miles to a store and some, especially in the case of teens giving birth, don’t know what a baby needs. The Diaper Bag Program provides the essentials needed to care for newborns and are given to new mothers within the first 2 weeks postpartum during a home visit by local public health nurse. These visits allow the nurse the opportunity to see women and their new babies in the home environment and gives her the chance to help with any issues they may have. This also establishes a contact at the clinic should they have any future problems. The diaper bags are assembled on the Rez from donations sent in by our volunteers.
Basic Newborn Diaper bag for 0-3 months
- Diaper bag (or backpack of comparable size)
- Changing pad
- Blanket/afghan/quilt 36×48
- Receiving blankets (2) -36″ square or larger
- Burp cloths (2)
- Bibs (2), newborn or small
- Sleep sack-(lightweight cotton/flannel for summer; quilted, fleece, double flannel for winter)
- Towel/hooded towel
- Washcloths (2+) baby/toddler size
- Scratch mitts (1+ prs.)
- Onesies (2)
- Sleepers or gowns (2)
- Diaper wipes – homemade from flannel, terry cloth, cotton knit or purchased disposable
- Teething rings, board or cloth book, rattles or other infant toys
- 1 swaddler
These items can be added to the bag depending on the current season. Weather is extreme on the Rez with winters being very cold and windy and summers hot and dry.
- Coats, sweaters, jackets, buntings, snowsuits
- Winter hats and mitts, sun hats
- Shorts and T shirts,
- Pants and long sleeve shirts (fleece is especially warm)
- Socks and slippers
Please send your items to the places listed here . Thanks from Sew For Kids.