The Closet is a Wanblee area program operated by local couple Theresa and Jerome High Horse and provides clothing items for children newborn to adult and in addition other basic family needs The High Horses also work one on one with area residents that need help and are referred to them by schools, clinics, social services, word of mouth, etc.
Used items are acceptable as long as they are in good condition. Check out our donation guidelines. Socks and underwear and shoes, especially for the older age groups, should be new or in mint condition. At times we will run specific drives for an individual program in need of restocking. We also do drives for special needs at certain times of the year such as for a party , school supplies, for youth programs etc. but the basic day to day needs are as listed below. It is not uncommon on the Rez for parents to delay sending their children to school until they have the appropriate clothing for them, they see it as a reflection of their inability to provide for their children. Kids are constantly growing and some families don’t have the resources to continually replace outgrown clothing. Being nicely dressed also raises a child’s self esteem which is a problem for many Rez children. Warm outerwear is needed by everyone but especially children so they can be warmly dressed to enjoy outdoor activities during the harsh winter months, which keeps them happy and healthy. We need your help to keep “The Closet” stocked so Theresa and Jerome can help whomever shows up at their door. Since we are a sewing/crafting site of course any of the items listed can be home crafted/sewn. Some of the groups we work with will be donating crocheted/knitted blankets and accessories so feel free to join in.
- T-shirts/shirts, long and short sleeved
- shorts , long pants
- sweatshirts and sweatpants, sweaters for the younger age groups
- Winter coats/snowsuits/baby buntings
- Hats, mittens and scarves, slippers
- Underwear and socks (new only)
- Quilts/blankets/afghans for all ages (see donation guidelines)
- towels, wash cloths, burp pads, and bibs (0-5 years) aprons
- Maternity clothing: pants/jeans with spandex/stretch panels, Tshirts, shirts, sweatshirts, sweatpants in size L
- Boots and shoes toddler to adult. Check size charts
- Household linens: towels, washcloths, sheets and pillow cases
- school supplies
- age specific books, games